Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Getting It Done

I have a lot of people that ask me how I get my work done. People seem to be confused as to how I can sit in a loud room and still work on my books. The answer is simple.
Music.
Obviously, your motivation may be different, but mine happens to be music. Once I put in my earbuds, the world disappears just long enough for me to be able to write a good chunk of my book. However, there is a really important rule to this. It can't just be any kind of music. It has to be something I'm used to.
If you're used to the music, if you know the words, it's easier to shut it out and ignore it. The music is there to shut out the world, but I also can't allow myself to focus directly on the music. I have to focus on the words that are supposed to be coming from my mind, to my fingertips, and then to my iPad screen. If I've never listened to the song before, if I'm not already in my zone, there is a great possibilty that I won't be able to focus on my book. Instead, I'd be paying attention to the music that I now want to learn to memorize.
In turn, that happens to be a slight problem. So, again, I avoid listening to anything I've never listened to before while writing. If I'm not writing, I'll listen to anything.
For me, it's not even only limited to music. I listen to comedy acts, too. Sometimes, I listen to Youtube videos that I've watched more than once. All that matters is that I have recognizeable sound that cancels out the other sounds of the real world.
For some people, silence may be the answer. However, I can't stand to sit in silence of any sort. I even listen to music when I'm sleeping. In closing, I only have one message to get across with this post:
Find what works for you and then utilize it. Utilizing your strong points allows you to move forwards in anything you do, whether it be a project, homework, or your life in general. It can apply to anything that you allow it to apply to.

No comments:

Post a Comment